ALL AMERICAN MUSTANGS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A FAMILY OF MUSTANG LOVERS LOCATED HERE ON LONG ISLAND NY

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Water pump gasket blew out

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
1Fastfox

1Fastfox

Water pump gasket blew out Empty
PostSubject: Water pump gasket blew out   Water pump gasket blew out Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 5:56 pm

Took the car for a spin around the neighborhood and I noticed my water temps were going over 200 so headed home by the time I was there the temp was up to 230. Shut the car off looked underneath and found antifreeze pouring out the bottom of the water pump. At closer look I could see the gasket hanging out. My question is how hard would it be for me to replace it. My only concern is with the Kenne Bell blower is attached to some of the accesory brackets. I am hoping I won't have to remove the blower. Any hints on putting the new one on? What is a good gasket and sealer to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Water pump gasket blew out Img_3769
Chris

Last edited by 1Fastfox on Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tstang90

PostSubject: Re: Water pump gasket blew out   Water pump gasket blew out Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 8:55 pm

A water pump gasket is easy to change. I dont knwo about the KB in the way I doubt you have to remove the blower. But the accersories do have to come off. On a vortech or N/A car its a hour to an half job start to finish.

Get yourself a felpro gasket. NEVER use silicone and a gasket. Some guys use only silicone or only a paper gasket dry. I like to use this stuff called Indian head shellac it seems to work really well.

Keep in mind your water pump has 2 gaskets not sure which blew out on ya. It has one from plate to water pump and one that goes plate to timing cover which is most likely the one tha let loose on ya. There cheap thought $3 a piece.
Back to top Go down
1Fastfox

1Fastfox

PostSubject: Re: Water pump gasket blew out   Water pump gasket blew out Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 9:08 pm

Hey Tom,
I posted a pic and when I got under the car and filled the radiator only to have it come pouring out the gasket , I could definately see it coming from between the pump and the plate. So as far as putting a new one in, do you recommend just using a gasket with no sealer or a gasket and Indian head shellac ?
Water pump gasket blew out Img_3770
Thanks
Chris
Back to top Go down
tstang90

PostSubject: Re: Water pump gasket blew out   Water pump gasket blew out Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 9:26 pm

i use gasket and indian head stuff. I never tried just a gasket so i have no faith in just paper by itself not to say it doesnt work though.
I never seen a gasket get pushed out like that. Give it a swap and see how it works out for ya.
Back to top Go down
SVT281wKB

SVT281wKB

PostSubject: Gasket   Water pump gasket blew out Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 2:07 am

Hey Chris what a drag but maintenance is the name of game I don't know Tom yet but he definitely knows what he's talkin about. Go for the felpro and indian head if you have a problem gettin the indian head stuff permatex sells a gasket sealer that is the closest to to indian head it's a shellac as well.If you need anything let me know.I'm always available.Maybe just someone to chase a part or hand you a tool.I changed the water pump on my TC and it's only a matter of getting to it.It's basically the same engine accessories and all,minus the blower of course.Well Goodluck with it anyway again if you need a hand just call,
that's what we are all here for isn't it. To help
Back to top Go down
1Fastfox

1Fastfox

PostSubject: Re: Water pump gasket blew out   Water pump gasket blew out Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 9:03 am

Thanks Tony.
I have most of it apart already, just nee to take the accessory and blower bracket off and then remove the WP and I should be good to go. I am going to get a Felpro gasket and some Permatex Hylomar (gasket dressing not sealer). I did a search and many peolpe recommend this Hylomar stuff, its similar to Indian head shelac. I am going to clean the surfaces up real good and then torque everything down good. I will then give it a day a retorque everything. I appreciate the offer to help and if I do I will definatley give you a call. I am lucky I have a big garage, I went out and bought a small heater to keep me warm. I also bought some polishing equipement so if anybody wants to come over to polish some parts just give me a ring.
Later Chris
Back to top Go down
SVT281wKB

SVT281wKB

PostSubject: WP   Water pump gasket blew out Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 11:06 am

HeyChris Sounds great well I hope everything goes well.Let us know how it worked out.
Most of the club is going to bellmont sunday if your ready that's the place to be.I'm trying to make english town but I'll know saturday I forgot that it's the 1st of the month.
Back to top Go down
NASTNASO

NASTNASO

PostSubject: Re: Water pump gasket blew out   Water pump gasket blew out Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 1:32 pm

Good to hear your making progress Chris. See ya soon.
Back to top Go down
tstang90

PostSubject: Re: Water pump gasket blew out   Water pump gasket blew out Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 6:16 pm

Chris that stuff should be fine also I have only read about it. Its one of thsoe things ask 10 people get 10 different answers. As long as shes dry when youra ll done thats what matters. I know guys who use silicone and a gasket together no leaks then you do a search and read 1000's of DONT use them together stories casue its leaking AGAIN.

Good luck its realy not bad. Just make sure shes all clean and dry before you reassemble it. I usually jack the nose up a bit to keep the coolant in the block from dripping out as it never seems to stop leaking once the pump is off. Thats the only other trick i cna offer that and make sure your hoses are in good shape
Back to top Go down
1Fastfox

1Fastfox

PostSubject: Re: Water pump gasket blew out   Water pump gasket blew out Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 9:03 am

Tom,
While it apart anything that is old I will replace like the hoses and it will give me a chance to clean the engine up alittle. I will be pulling the WP tonight.

Thanks All
Chris
Back to top Go down
1Fastfox

1Fastfox

PostSubject: Re: Water pump gasket blew out   Water pump gasket blew out Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 8:34 pm

Well I got he water pump off with no real problems. I did notice that my bolts were very loose, barely need much force to get off. Now my question is what is the best thing to use to clean up the gasket surfaces. It was definately the WP to WP backing plate that blew out. THe gasket was almost mush.
Thanks
Chris
Back to top Go down
tstang90

PostSubject: Re: Water pump gasket blew out   Water pump gasket blew out Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 8:49 pm

razor blade and some laquer thinner or solvent works well make sure the surface is clean run your finger on it.

Get that thing done theres a show sunday
Back to top Go down
SVT281wKB

SVT281wKB

PostSubject: WP progress   Water pump gasket blew out Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 11:26 pm

Great news it was the gasket only.Chris git er done Sunday is bellmont you don't wanna miss the last big decent show of the season.GL see ya tomorrow nite at bellmore.
Back to top Go down
1Fastfox

1Fastfox

PostSubject: Re: Water pump gasket blew out   Water pump gasket blew out Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 8:48 am

Unfortunately I won't have it done for this weekend Crying or Very sad . I want to ttake my time and do it right. Plus I have some ground rewiring to do so I will just take my time do that tand clean things up while I have things accessable. I forgot today is Halloween so I will be taking my niece for here first Halloween.
Have fun guys and good luck at the show.
Later
Chris
Back to top Go down
tstang90

PostSubject: Re: Water pump gasket blew out   Water pump gasket blew out Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 3:56 pm

hear ya well take your time and do it right esp the wiring. Im also missin out on the show last minute a buddy needed a hand so I'm also bailing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Water pump gasket blew out   Water pump gasket blew out Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Water pump gasket blew out
Page 1 of 1